Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Calico Canyon by Mary Connealy



Review by Emily, DCR's Head Mama




I receive quite a few Review Copies of books I don't request. Because they are not books I choose to fit my personal tastes, few really appeal to me.




Schoolmarm Grace Calhoun may seem like just another tightwad teacher at first, but there is so much more to her. Adopted by an abusive father, she has overcome many trials and discovered how brave she can be.


She always wanted to be a teacher, but now that she is realizing her dream, she can't get the 5 Reeves brothers in her class to behave. Their father is no better. She calls him the leader of the rats. "The man had the intelligence of the average fence post, the personality of a wounded warthog, and the stubbornness of a flea-bitten mule. Grace silently apologized to all the animals she'd just insulted."


When Grace's father shows up intending to kill her, she makes a wild escape that leads her to a winter she'll never forget...stuck with the Reeves family.


Calico Canyon is a great romantic comedy. It is apparently the sequel to Petticoat Ranch, which I've never read. So, I'd probably start with that one, although this book can stand alone.


It is set in the year 1867 in a small town in Texas.


The story reminded me of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers at times. So, if that is your kind of thing, try this one out. It's a lot of fun.

3 Comments:

Mary Connealy said...

Hi, Emily. Thanks so much for the kind words about Calico Canyon. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
God bless you.

Emily said...

Hi Mary,
Thanks for sharing your fun stories with the world!

Erin said...

These books sound fun. I have put them both on my wishlist. Thanks!

blogger templates | Make Money Online